Norbert Bukowski was born 13 July 1920. His birth location is likely Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. He was the only son of William F. Bukowski and Celia. Celia's surname is current unknown. William, the son of Polish immigrants Vincinety Frank Bukowski & Franciska Kwiatkowski, was processed as an infant at Ellis Island with his family on 1 May 1895. The family settled in Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania.
William Bukowski relocated from Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania to Buffalo, Erie County, New York. It is currently estimated that William married Celia about 1919 based on dates recorded in the 1930 United States Federal Census. The location of their marriage is currently unknown. The family is recorded residing in Buffalo, New York in the 1930 United States Federal Census and 1940 United States Federal Census.
On 17 June 1942 Norbert enlisted in the United States Coast Guard. Norbert married his wife Dorothy Swienski in Buffalo, Erie County, New York. He is shown wearing his Coast Guard Uniform in the wedding photo. His first cousin Robert Pietrzak attended his wedding. Norbert was discharged from service on 7 November 1945.
Wedding of Norbert & Dorothy
(L-R) Robert V. Pietrzak, Bride's Sister, Bride Dorothy Swienski, Groom Norbert Bukowski
Norbert and Dorothy were both photographed with their oldest daughter Judy. The photographs were likely taken in Buffalo, Erie County, Pennsylvania. Eventually these photographs ended up in the hands of family living in Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania. It is possible the couple mailed photographs to their family living in Erie. Norbert's Aunt, my great grandmother Helen Tillie Bukowski, had these photographs included in her collection.
Dorothy Swienski & Judy BukowskiFrom the Helen Tillie Bukowski Collection. Photographer Unknown. Editing and digital restoration by Michelle M. Murosky.
Norbert Bukowski is a 1st cousin to my grandfather Arthur Murosky. The two share common ancestors in their grandparents, Vincinety Frank Bukowski & Franciska Kwiatkowski. Norbert's father William is my great grandmother Helen's brother.
- Ellis Island Records, Ship of Travel: Noordland, Port of Departure: Antwerp, Date of Arrival: May 01, 1895
- 1900 U. S. census, 1900 United States Federal Census schedule, Erie, Pennsylvania, Supervisor's District 15, Enumeration District 80, Enumeration Date June, 1900, Lines 11-17. Family of Vincent Bukowski
- 1910 U. S. census, 1910 United States Federal Census schedule, Erie, Pennsylvania, Supervisor's District 19, Enumeration District 79, Enumeration Date May 2,1910, Lines 44-52. Family of Vincent Bukowski
- 1930 U. S. census, United States Federal Census schedule, Erie, New York, Supervisor's District 7NY Enumeration District 15-65, Enumeration Date April 2, 1930, Lines 67-78 Record for Bukowski, Boleslaus
- U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011. Original data: Beneficiary Identification Records Locator Subsystem (BIRLS) Death File. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Record for Norbert Bukowski.