The 1900 United States Federal Census records Caroline living with her mother and siblings on the family farm in Clarion, Clarion County, Pennsylvania. Caroline was attending school.
Family tradition maintains that in 1903 Caroline went to Elkins, Randolph County, West Virginia. Her sister Winifred Agnes O'Neill was expecting her fifth child, Charles Eugene McDonald. Caroline stayed with the family and worked a teacher at the local one room school house. Caroline's niece Virginia McDonald Geary offered commentary on the family: "Ellen Cunningham, Winifred's mother used to send her daughters around to assist each other when they were expecting."
|Caroline Loretta O'Neill most likely photographed between 1900 and 1910|
After living in West Virginia Caroline moved back to Pittsburgh, Allegheny County where she lived for the rest of her life. The 1920 United States Federal Census records Caroline living in the family home at 321 Meade Street. She was living with:
- her mother - Ellen Cunnigham
- her niece - Helen McDonald, daughter of Robert A. McDonald & Winifred A. O'Neill
- her sister - Eleanor Monica O'Neill
- her niece - Bella Mullen, daughter of Eleanor Monica O'Neill
Caroline never married. She lived to be 97 years old. Caroline died on 13 November 1984 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. She is buried at Calvary Cemetery. She is buried with her sister Winifred Agnes O'Neill and her brother-in-law Robert Alphonsus McDonald. She was affectionately known as "Aunt Carrie", "Aunt Pokie" and "Aunt Honie" by the family.
A copy of the obituary for Caroline Loretta O'Neill. Caroline was affectionately known by her family as "Aunt Carrie" or "Aunt Honie". The newspaper printed her obituary as Karrie L. O'Neill. The name of the newspaper the obituary was printed in is unknown.
The obituary originally originally belonged to Caroline's niece Virginia McDonald Geary. Virginia's daughter kindly sent the copy of the obituary to me to incorporate into the family archives.
Virginia McDonald Geary is my 1st cousins 3x removed. She is the daughter of Ambrose Aloysius McDonald, my 2nd great uncle and Gertrude Anna O'Neill, my 2nd great aunt. My relationship with Virginia McDonald Geary is unique in that we are double 1st cousins 3x removed. We share two sets of common ancestors. Our common McDonald grandparents are Michael McDonald and Anna Haggerty. Our common O'Neill grandparents are Michael O'Neill and Ellen Cunningham. Caroline Loretta O'Neill is my 2nd great aunt. She is the sister of 2nd Great Grandmother Winifred Agnes O'Neill. Robert Alphonsus McDonald is my 2nd Great Grandfather.
- 1900 United States Federal Census. Year: 1900; Census Place: Clarion, Clarion, Pennsylvania; Roll: 1394; Page: 3B; Enumeration District: 0007; FHL microfilm: 1241394. Record for Ellen O'Neill.
- 1910 United States Federal Census. Year: 1910; Census Place: Leadsville, Randolph, West Virginia; Roll: T624_1696; Page: 21B; Enumeration District: 0123; FHL microfilm: 1375709. Record for Carrie Oneel.
- 1920 United States Federal Census. Year: 1920; Census Place: Wilkinsburg Ward 3, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; Roll: T625_1530; Page: 19B; Enumeration District: 867; Image: 1003. Record for Ellen M O'Neill.
- 1930 United States Federal Census. Year: 1930; Census Place: Wilkinsburg, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; Roll: 1993; Page: 9A; Enumeration District: 0872; Image: 226.0; FHL microfilm: 2341727. Record for Eleanor Mullen.
- 1940 United States Federal Census. Year: 1940; Census Place: Wilkinsburg, Allegheny, Pennsylvania; Roll: T627_3421; Page: 6A; Enumeration District: 2-622. Record for E M Mullen.
- Ancestry.com. U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2011. Record for Carrie Oneill.
- Find A Grave. Memorial Number 107591661.