After locating the application for marriage license I shared with the folks at the website PolishOrigins.com. The researches at the site had some interesting observations, especially has they had assisted with translating the original Lithuanian names recorded on a birth certificate for Anthony and Eva's son Frank. To learn more about the translation visit the blog post The Original Lithuanian Spelling - Murauskas.
The application for marriage license offers some previously unknown details about the Anthony and Eva - including some additional spelling variations of Murosky and Zelensky. This particular application for marriage license includes three pages - a cover page, the application for marriage license and a duplicate certificate.
Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885-1950 004838983 Image 520 of 2047
Observations from the cover page:
- Note the spelling Antoni Morofskey and Eva Zelenskey. Each name has an "ey" added to both surnames.
- This is the first instance I have observed of the 'f" being used in the surname. The use of the "f" in the surname may have been the name being recorded phonetically by the Justice of the Peace or a Clerk. Antoni would have very likely had an Eastern European accent.
- The Application was filed January 16, 1895
- The filing location was Forest City, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania, United States
|Application for Marriage License|
Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885-1950 004838983 Image 521 of 2047
The marriage license provides previously unknown details - birth dates for Anthony and Eva. The marriage license indicates Anthony was born May 20, 1867 in Poland and that his occupation is a miner. This supports what was previously known about Anthony - that he worked as a coal miner in Forest City. The marriage license also indicates that Eva was born November 15, 1873 in Poland and that she was employed as a domestic servant. The birth certificate for Frank Murauskas indicated that Eva was working as a housekeeper in 1907.
The birth reference location to Poland also aligns with other previously known details. The birth certificate for Frank Murauskas indicates that Anthony and Eva were born in the Suwałki Governorate. The Suwałki Governorate was an administrative unit of the Congress of Poland. The general use of Poland on the application for marriage license would have included this area.
|Signature of Anthony Murosky, Sr.|
The application for marriage license was signed by Anthony. PolishOrigins.com researcher Elzbieta Porteneuve also had a few interesting observations about the application for marriage license and Anthony's signature:
- Note that the Justice of the Peace, Justice Makey wrote groom’s and bride’s name as his own, with the same ending adding the 'ey'. He spelled the names Morofskey and Zelenskey.
- The Justice of the Peace also spelled Anthony adding the "t" where the original signature does not include the "h".
- Antoni’s name written by himself. He has difficulties to write as seen in his first name Antoni, but it’s
- clear his real name starts with “Mur” and ends with “ki”.
Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885-1950_004838983 Image 522 of 2047
Note that on three different pages in the same file the names have been spelled multiple ways.
Antoni Morofskey, Anthony Morofskey and Antoni Murofsky.
Antoni Murauskas and Ewa Zilinskaite are my 2nd great-grandparents. Their son Anthony Harry Murosky, Jr. is my great grandfather. Anthony Harry Murosky, Jr's s son Arthur Murosky is my paternal grandfather.
- "Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885-1950," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-21150-8097-73?cc=1589502 : accessed 2 May 2015), 004838983 > image 520 of 2047; county courthouses, Pennsylvania.
- "Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885-1950," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-21150-8105-4?cc=1589502 : accessed 2 May 2015), 004838983 > image 521 of 2047; county courthouses, Pennsylvania.
- "Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885-1950," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-21150-8511-99?cc=1589502 : accessed 2 May 2015), 004838983 > image 522 of 2047; county courthouses, Pennsylvania.
- "Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885-1950," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-21123-37079-92?cc=1589502 : accessed 2 May 2015), 004838912 > image 413 of 625; county courthouses, Pennsylvania.
- Ancestry.com. Pennsylvania, Birth Records, 1906-1908 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015. Record for Frank Murauckas.
- 1910 U. S. census, 1910 United States Federal Census schedule, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania; Online Images, Record for Anthony Meroski
- PolishOrigins Forum
- Wikipedia: Suwałki Governorate